From this page you can peruse the contents of Friday Finale: Skräcken with your web browser. Download the free Skräcken PDF here. We know for some people having information available as an HTML page is more convenient.
By Christopher “gigz” Hantzmon
Rachelle Abellar, Tammy Vince Cruz
Royal Archivist Publishing Inc.
Creative Director: Mike McArtor
Managing Editor: Sean McNeil
Technical Lead: Rommel Degracia
Story Lead: Ann K. McArtor
Art Director: Dora Wang
CR: 9 XP: 6,400
Usually NE Large magical beast
Init +3; Senses darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +5
AC 22, touch 13, flat-footed 18 (+3 Dex, Dodge +1, +9 natural, -1 size)
hp 114 (12d10+48)
Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +5
Speed 50 ft., climb 25 ft.
Melee bite +17 (2d8+6) 2 claws +17 (2d6+6)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks predator strike
Str 22, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 8
Base Atk +12; CMB +19; CMD 33
Feats Dodge, Improved Grapple Mobility, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Stealth), Spring Attack
Skills Climb +15, Perception +5, Stealth +24
Languages Common plus any one other (understanding only)
Special Qualities deadly camouflage (Ex), fast stealth (Ex)
Environment any aboveground location on the planet Engaul
Organization solitary, pair, or band (3-6)
Deadly Camouflage (Ex) A skräcken can shift the colors of its fur to blend into its surroundings. Doing so is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity and allows the skräcken to immediately make a Stealth check, even if observed. Creatures within 10 feet of the skräcken gain a +10 circumstance bonus on Perception checks to determine the location of the creature until the end of the next round.
Fast Stealth (Ex) A skräcken suffers no penalties from movement on Stealth checks, even when moving at full speed or sprinting.
Predator Strike (Ex) If a skräcken begins its turn hidden from its prey and moves at least 10 feet before and after the attack using the Spring Attack feat, the target of its attack is considered flat-footed. Whenever the skräcken uses its Spring Attack it may attempt a Stealth check at the end of its turn, even if being directly observed. The skräcken suffers a -20 penalty on this check. The skräcken’s target does not gain the usual +10 circumstance bonus on its Perception check (see the deadly camouflage ability).
The skräcken relies on stealth, thanks to its magical camouflaging fur, attacking from ambush. It opens combat with its Spring Attack feat in conjunction with its predator strike ability against an unsuspecting target. After this initial attack it hides again and waits for another opportune moment to attack again. If after several passes like this its target isn’t dead, the skräcken changes its targets, do this same ambush after ambush over and over again until all its foes are weakened and at least one is unconscious, at which point it moves in for the kill.
A skräcken observes its prey from a distance for up to several days before attacking, making its existence known long before it chooses to strike. Thanks to its frighteningly keen intellect, it can understand many of its victims, and listens to their plans for dealing with it.
A skräcken never fights to the death, preferring to use its superior stealth to escape if reduced to less than half its hit points.
A skräcken (Dwarven for “horror”) is a fierce, cunning, and frightening predator. It resembles a massive ape, with long powerful arms ending in wicked claws and opposable thumbs. A felid head shows a set of deadly fangs, powerful muscles ripple about the creature’s body, and its eyes show signs of an unnatural intellect. A skräcken is best known for the strange nature of the soft fur that covers its body. Somehow harnessing the inherent mana of its homeworld of Engaul, a skräcken’s fur can shift and change color instantly to blend perfectly into its surroundings making it an exceptionally deadly predator.
Whispered of in stories over campfires and cooking stoves, a skräcken has been known to follow its prey for miles waiting for the perfect time to strike. While skräcken cannot speak, they can understand a couple of the most common languages near their hunting grounds (on Engaul these usually include Common [i.e., Latin], Dwarven, French, and Japanese).
In Your Campaign
Use skräcken to terrorize your player characters as an unseen threat that haunts their movements. Make its presence felt but never pinpointed and let it counter their plans now and then to reveal it understands what they are saying. The skräcken is an excellent beast to use to add a horror element into your game or as a fairly straightforward challenge in an horror-fantasy campaign.
Compatibility with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game requires the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from Paizo Publishing, LLC. See http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG for more information on the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Paizo Publishing, LLC does not guarantee compatibility, and does not endorse this product.
Product Identity: The following items are hereby identified as Product Identity, as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a, Section 1(e), and are not Open Content: All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper names (characters, deities, etc.), dialogue, plots, storylines, locations, characters, artwork, trade dress, the word kǎichóng, and the names Engaul and Ingressa. (Elements that have previously been designated as Open Game Content or are in the public domain are not included in this declaration.)
Open Content: Except for material designated as Product Identity (see above), the game mechanics of this Royal Archivist Publishing game product are Open Game Content, as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a Section 1(d). No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission.
Pathfinder is a registered trademark of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatibility Logo are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and are used under the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatibility License. See http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/compatibility for more information on the compatibility license.
Royal Archivist Publishing, the archivist and inkspot logos, and the “History is written. Help create our future.” tagline are all trademarks and property of Royal Archivist Publishing, Inc. Skräcken ©2011 Royal Archivist Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3.Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10 Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12 Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13 Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14 Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15 COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
System Reference Document. Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. Copyright 2009, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Author: Jason Bulmahn, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.
The Book of Experimental Might. Copyright 2008, Monte J. Cook. All rights reserved.
Tome of Horrors. Copyright 2002, Necromancer Games, Inc.; Authors: Scott Greene, with Clark Peterson, Erica Balsley, Kevin Baase, Casey Christofferson, Lance Hawvermale, Travis Hawvermale, Patrick Lawinger, and Bill Webb; Based on original content from TSR.
If you use this product please include in your OGL Section 15 the following text: Skräcken Copyright 2011, Royal Archivist Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Author: Christopher “gigz” Hantzmon.