Can Ki Come Out And Play?
From this page you can peruse the contents of Friday Finale: Can Ki Come Out And Play? with your web browser. The free PDF is still available in the store, but we know for some people having information available as an HTML page is more convenient.
Can Ki Come Out And Play?
By Christopher “Gigz” Hantzmon, Sean McNeil
Rachelle Abellar, Tammy Vince Cruz
Royal Archivist Publishing Inc.
Creative Director: Mike McArtor
Managing Editor: Sean McNeil
Technical Lead: Rommel Degracia
Story Lead: Ann K. McArtor
Art Director: Dora Wang
We are currently working on an extensive d20 Guide to the Ingressa, which we plan to release in time for Gen Con 2012. We’ll make bits of it available for playtest purposes between now and then. You’ve already seen a little bit of what we’re up to with the very first Friday Finale: Kdarr as a Playable Race. Come give us feedback in our forums!
This document provides a number of ki feats—feats that use a ki pool to create effects that might look familiar to you if you’re a fan of anime, Wuxia movies, or certain champions of justice in a galaxy far, far away…
Control Ki [Ki]
You can use your inner power to manipulate objects from a distance.
Prerequisite: ki pool.
Benefit: Your ki pool increases by 1. As long as you have at least 1 point in your ki pool, as a standard action you can cast mage hand as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to your Hit Dice. As a free action you may expend 1 ki point to instead cast it as a swift action.
Deny Gravity [Ki]
You can use your ki to glide effortlessly through the air.
Prerequisite: Wis 15, any two other ki feats, ki pool, high jump class feature or Great Jump feat.
Benefit: You may expend 2 ki points as a swift action to gain the effects of a fly spell for 1 round. Unlike normal flight, you may not change directions without touching some other physical object first and if you are still aloft when the duration runs out you fall as normal. You cannot use this ability consecutively without physically touching another solid surface first.
Extra Ki [Ki]
You can use your ki pool more times per day than most.
Prerequisite: Ki pool.
Benefit: Your ki pool increases by 2.
Special: You can gain Extra ki multiple times. Its effects stack.
Source: Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook.
Focused Charge [Ki]
You are capable of powerful bursts of movement.
Prerequisite: Any two other ki feats, ki pool.
Benefit: As long as you are wearing medium or lighter armor and carrying a medium or lighter load, you may expend 1 point from your ki pool as a swift action to charge without needing at least 10 feet of movement. You may also spend 1 ki point as a swift action to charge as a standard action, although you can only charge your normal movement and your turn still ends after completing the charge.
Normal: Charging is a full-round action that requires the character to move at least 10 feet prior and up to double her movement and still attack at the end.
Forceful Blow [Ki]
Your first attack can be devastating.
Prerequisite: Vital Strike, ki pool.
Benefit: As a swift action, you may expend 1 ki point to apply the Vital Strike feat to your first attack during a full attack.
Special: If you have the Improved Vital Strike feat, as a swift action, you may expend 2 ki points to apply the Improved Vital Strike feat to your first attack during a full attack.
Special: If you have the Greater Vital Strike feat, as a swift action, you may expend 3 ki points to apply the Greater Vital Strike feat to your first attack during a full attack.
Forceful Push [Ki]
With the force of your ki you can perform a strong shove at a distance.
Prerequisite: Wis 15, Control ki, ki pool.
Benefit: You may spend 1 ki point to perform a bull rush combat maneuver from 5 feet away as a standard action or as part of a charge. You may spend more than 1 ki point while activating this ability; each additional point spent allows you to activate the ability from an additional 5 feet away. You must have direct line of sight and line of effect to affect an object or creature with this ability. This ability provokes attacks of opportunity as normal if performed within a creature’s reach. Charging adds a +2 bonus on the CMB check, as normal.
Special: The Improved Bull Rush feat negates the attack of opportunity from the target, but any movement still provokes as normal.
Great Climb [Ki]
Through study, practice, and perfect balance you can rapidly scale the most difficult of surfaces.
Prerequisite: Ki pool.
Benefit: Your ki pool increases by 1. As long as you have at least 1 point in your ki pool, you gain a climb speed equal to ¼ your normal land speed, although you do NOT gain a racial bonus on Climb checks. Additionally, you may spend 1 ki point as a swift action to make a Climb check at -20 to use the run action while climbing. This ability can be stacked with the -5 penalty for an accelerated climb. Finally, you may spend 1 ki point as a free action to climb without using your hands for 1 round.
Special: A creature with a climb speed must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC higher than 0, but it can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If a creature with a climb speed chooses an accelerated climb (see Climb skill), it moves at double its climb speed (or at its land speed, whichever is slower) and makes a single Climb check at a –5 penalty. Such a creature retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against it.
Great Jump [Ki]
You can use your ki to jump much further.
Prerequisite: Any other ki feat, ki pool.
Benefit: Your ki pool increases by 1. As long as you have at least 1 point left in your ki pool, you add your HD total to all Acrobatics checks made to jump, both for vertical jumps and horizontal jumps. In addition, you always count as having a running start when making jump checks using Acrobatics.
Special: This feat does not stack with the high jump class feature.
Greater Leaping Charge [Ki]
When charging, you can deliver a deadly attack.
Prerequisite: Great Jump and any other ki feat or the high jump class feature, Improved Leaping Charge, Leaping Charge, ki pool, base attack bonus +12.
Benefit: As long as you have at least 1 point left in your ki pool, when you use the charge attack action, roll the damage dice for the attack four times and add the results together, but do not multiply damage bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), or precision-based damage (such as sneak attack). This bonus damage is not multiplied on a critical hit (although other damage bonuses are multiplied normally).
Improved Ki Training [Ki]
You have learned to channel your ki defensively.
Prerequisite: Wis 13, Ki Training.
Benefit: Your ki pool increases by 1. As long as you have at least 1 point left in your ki pool, you add your Wisdom modifier as a dodge bonus to your Combat Maneuver Defense.
Special: This ability does not stack with a monk’s AC bonus or any other ability that grants a Wisdom bonus to Armor Class or Combat Maneuver Defense.
Improved Leaping Charge [Ki]
When charging, you can deliver a devastating attack.
Prerequisite: Great Jump and any other ki feat or the high jump class feature, Leaping Charge, ki pool, base attack bonus +8.
Benefit: As long as you have at least 1 point left in your ki pool, when you use the charge attack action, roll the damage dice for the attack three times and add the results together, but do not multiply damage bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), or precision-based damage (such as sneak attack). This bonus damage is not multiplied on a critical hit (although other damage bonuses are multiplied normally).
Ki Training [Ki]
You have been trained how to harness your inner ki, although you lack the dedication and commitment to unlocking its full potential.
Prerequisite: Wis 13.
Benefit: You gain a ki pool equal to your Wisdom modifier. By spending 1 point from your ki pool, you can increase your speed by 10 feet for 1 round or gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round. Spending a ki point is a swift action. These points are replenished after 8 hours of rest.
Special: Ki Training does not stack with any existing ki pool granted by similar feats or class abilities.
Leaping Charge [Ki]
When charging, you can deliver a ferocious attack.
Prerequisite: Great Jump and any other ki feat or the high jump class feature, ki pool, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit: As long as you have at least 1 point left in your ki pool, when you use the charge attack action, roll the damage dice for the attack two times and add the results together, but do not multiply damage bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), or precision-based damage (such as sneak attack). This bonus damage is not multiplied on a critical hit (although other damage bonuses are multiplied normally).
Quicker Than The Eye [Ki]
When you focus your ki power, you can move faster than the eye can follow.
Prerequisite: Ki pool, Extra Ki
Benefit: You can focus your energy to move at incredible speeds. By spending 1 ki point as a swift action, you can move so fast you gain concealment for 1 round. This cannot be used to allow Stealth checks. In addition, this effect is not an illusion, so true sight and similar effects do not negate the effects of the concealment, although Blind Fight functions normally.
Compatibility with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game requires the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from Paizo Publishing, LLC. See http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG for more information on the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Paizo Publishing, LLC does not guarantee compatibility, and does not endorse this product.
Product Identity: The following items are hereby identified as Product Identity, as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a, Section 1(e), and are not Open Content: All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper names (characters, deities, etc.), dialogue, plots, storylines, locations, characters, artwork, and trade dress. (Elements that have previously been designated as Open Game Content or are in the public domain are not included in this declaration.)
Open Content: Except for material designated as Product Identity (see above), the game mechanics of this Royal Archivist Publishing game product are Open Game Content, as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a Section 1(d). No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission.
Pathfinder is a registered trademark of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatibility Logo are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and are used under the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatibility License. See http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/compatibility for more information on the compatibility license.
Royal Archivist Publishing, the archivist and inkspot logos, and the “History is written. Help create our future.” tagline are all trademarks and property of Royal Archivist Publishing, Inc. ©2010-2011 Royal Archivist Publishing Inc. Can Ki Come Out And Play? ©2011 Royal Archivist Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3.Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10 Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12 Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13 Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14 Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15 COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
System Reference Document. Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. Copyright 2009, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Author: Jason Bulmahn, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.
The Book of Experimental Might. Copyright 2008, Monte J. Cook. All rights reserved.
Tome of Horrors. Copyright 2002, Necromancer Games, Inc.; Authors: Scott Greene, with Clark Peterson, Erica Balsley, Kevin Baase, Casey Christofferson, Lance Hawvermale, Travis Hawvermale, Patrick Lawinger, and Bill Webb; Based on original content from TSR.
If you use this product please include in your OGL Section 15 the following text: Can Ki Come Out And Play? Copyright 2011, Royal Archivist Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Authors: Christopher “Gigz” Hantzmon, Sean McNeil.